Monday 24 December 2012

Expedition to Mt. Semeru - East Java

In the end of 2011, we group of 12 people have decide to climb Mt.Semeru (Great Mountain) to celebrate New Year.

We start our journey on 29th December from Train Station Senen - Jakarta to Malang Train Station with Matarmaja (Economic Class) in about Rp.50.000,- / $5 US.

It took us about 18hours in Train with no-air conditioner . .The only problem in here is, I can't sit for a long time period. Every-time the train is stop in another stations, I decide to walk around in that places.



For you who are not Indonesian, you should know that there are many people try to sell things in this economic train, such as: Bottle of water, cakes, clothes, egg etc haha

To make it short, we arrived in Malang at 30 December - 08.00 AM. We reserved a jeep and go to the registration post office in that city for get permission to enter mt.Semeru.


After finished our registration etc, we went to Ranu Pane Village and there is stunning landscape in this trip to village.


We officially start our journey to the top of mt.Semeru ( 30 December - 01.00 PM) from Ranu Pane Village. There are 4 checkpoints from Ranu Pani Village to Ranu Kumbolo lake, as I remember: distance for every checkpoint is take about 40 - 1 hours by walk.


Usually people take about 5-6 hours to arrived. Since we never climb this mountain, we didn't know that it will take a long time to arrive in Lake of Ranu Kumbolo. The result is we get trouble to find the correct direction and we arrived in Ranu Kumbolo after 6-7 hours, arround: 7.30 PM -_-"

But, I can take this beautiful photo that shows Ranu Kumbolo at night :D


(Light in the below of image is from people who camp in that lake)

We built our tent as soon as we arrived in there and take a dep rest!

Since I never knew what Ranu Kumbolo Lake looks like and I can't see it clearly at night, I get shocked in the morning. I never imagine that I can see that kind of view when I wake up!
Best morning view that I ever had when I wake up!


31 December 2012, I really want to stop my journey in this place and admire the scenery, but my friends said that we will see the most spectacular view in Indonesia in no time. Honestly, I doubt with it because what can beat Ranu Kumbolo View???! haha

I continue to walk with half-hearted >.<"


We passed the Oro-Oro Ombo which is Savanna in that mountain.



We decide to take a rest at Kalimati, we plan to start climbing from Kalimati to the top at 11.30 PM.

So, here we are!

It is really hard to climb at 1km before top of mountain because the angle is really high, full of sands and rocks. After 6hours non-stop walking, I feel like to give-up and back to the Ranu Kumbolo Lake.

I turn around to go back and I'm shocked with the view!!


I remember at that time I said to myself that it will take few-steps left to reach the top and it will take forever to regret if I didn't do it. This is the place where I can try my pretension until the maximum limit.
I took some photos in there and take few minutes rest. .


Finally, we arrived in the top of mt.semeru (12,060 ft) or people called it "Land of Gods".



Additional information: In 1969, Soe Hok Gie an Indonesian political activist died because of poisonous gases in top of mt.semeru.



End of Journey!

credit for last photo: Niko Tujuhlangit

ps: This is one of the best adventure that I ever take so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment